The first schools in Oswego established by early pioneers in the 1830s were funded by dues paid by the parents of the students who attended. In 1850, however, the Illinois General Assembly passed a law authorizing the funding of public schools through property taxes, and the number of schools and the quality of education they offered increased dramatically. .
The history of this era as well as how the Oswego area grew from a small, largely rural school district to one of the largest public school districts in Illinois is the subject of “Back to School”, a nostalgic journey through time that will entertain and inform. visitors to the little white school museum. The museum is located at 72 Polk St., just two blocks from the business district of historic downtown Oswego.
The exhibit, designed and mounted by museum director Anne Jordan and museum assistant Emily Dutton, is located in the main public area of the museum. A variety of rarely seen materials selected from the museum’s collections, including historical artifacts, documents and photos, combine to tell the story of the community’s changing landscape of public education.
The new special temporary exhibition complements and expands the education-related exhibits that are part of the museum’s main gallery exhibit.
Free entry. Regular hours are Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Monday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.; and Thursdays and Fridays from 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Located in a fully restored former Methodist Episcopal Church built in 1850 that served as a primary school from 1915, the Little White School Museum is a joint project of the non-profit Oswegoland Heritage Association and the Oswegoland Park District.
For more information, call the museum at 630-554-2999 or visit littlewhiteschoolmuseum.org.